The VDC Coordinator performs a support role, with varying tasks and responsibilities, which will contribute to the overall successful development of the assigned projects including the execution of design and construction drawing, presentations and 3-d renderings, searching and analyzing materials, construction and installation methodologies to comply with project's requirements. This person assists in obtaining, evaluating and coordinating all information needed to construct the project in accordance with the contract documents through BIM models and to assure the work meets all safety standards, is within schedule requirements, and is constructed to the highest possible level of quality. The VDC Coordinator is involved in the strategy, process, modeling and coordination of projects. This person has a thorough knowledge of Building information Modeling (BIM) computer applications, 3D design and construction documents. The VDC Coordinator maintains professional relationships with designers and subcontractors. The VDC Coordinator is responsible for finished plans, specifications or approval of materials as well as managing and implementing the VDC project set up process. May supervise small staff of architects and technicians. As VDC Coordinator, this person will design and implement VDC strategies throughout the project's life cycle from predesign to construction to facilities management. Applies sound and diverse knowledge of architecture principles and practices in a broad array of assignments and related fields. Acts independently regarding architectural methods and complexities. Requires use of advanced techniques and modification /extension of theories, precepts, and practices if individual's field. Supervision and guidance mainly concern overall objectives, critical issues, new concepts, and policy matters. As VDC Coordinator, works with various departments to understand current process, advice and assist in implementing VDC processes.
Objective / Responsibilities
- Build 3D models based on provided layouts and sketches using ArchiCAD & Revit.
- BIM coordination including clash detection and resolution.
- Supports Pre-Construction, Pre-fabrication and on site construction teams.
- Strategize project related modeling requirements with project team during project kick off.
- Assist in the development of the company's BIM related goals, initiatives, and standards.
- Develop new ways to utilize model-based information in various phases of projects.
- Communicating with field personnel and MEP Trade Team members.
- Attend virtual construction, clash detection and coordination meetings,
- Review work for accuracy and quality.
- Responsible for establishing VDC goals and objectives and develop BIM workflows, best practices, QA/QC and value proposition.
- assist and support the Project Architect in the proper execution of the different design phases by being responsible for finished plans, specifications or approval of materials and construction in addition and to ensure the project is delivered to clients on time, on budget and to specification.
A VDC Coordinator needs to possess both a technical aptitude for designing and developing projects and the ability to work in teams. He or she must be able to understand and follow schedules and budgets, construction details and procedures. This position generally needs at least a bachelor's degree in architecture, along with the following skills:
- Education: Bachelor's degree in Architecture
- License: AIT registration not required. Professional License not required.
- Experience: Minimum of six (6) to eight (8) years of related experience. Knowledge of local codes and regulations.
- Software proficiency: In depth knowledge of current BIM & VDC software: AutoCAD, ArchiCAD, Revit, Sketchup, Solibri. Proficiency in other software including Lumion & Adobe Illustrator. Proficient in Microsoft Word, Excel & Power Point.
- Architectural Design: Experience with drafting building plans and 3D modeling, often in collaboration with engineers and clients. Experience in drawing architectural details. Experience writing technical specifications as well as submittal review process. Experience overseeing VDC/BIM implementation.
- VDC Experience:
- 5+ yrs experience overseeing VDC/BIM implementation.
- Excellent knowledge of VDC processes in the industry.
- Demonstrated leadership of VDC terms on a local/regional level required.
- Actively participate in lead ongoing strategic initiatives related to VDC/BIM
- Schedule Management: Ability to successfully manage time requirements and meet project timelines.
- Interdisciplinary knowledge: Knowledge of interdisciplinary information and coordination.
- Ability to multi-task with attention to detail and accuracy.
- Ability to work under pressure and meet tight schedules.
- Ability to work well as part of the team and independently.
- Professional attitude and ability to communicate and work well with others.
- Fully bilingual.
- Excellent verbal and written communications skills in both English and Spanish.
- Knowledge of general construction
- Ability to work with minimal supervision.
- Excellent organizational skills.
- Experience in BIM & VDC
- Ability to manage priorities with minimal guidance.
- Self-starter with drive to pursue continued education in VDC
- Exceptional presentation skills
- Problem solving and strong sense of urgency
- Create 3D model form 2D documents
- Solid understanding of the design, documentation and construction process
- Familiar with detailing and fabrication
- Perform all required design activities as specified in the progress schedule in order to comply with the established delivery milestones.
- Assist in the interdisciplinary and permit coordination, in a timely manner, as to avoid delays in the project's progress.
- Assist the Project Architect and Pre-Construction Manager in estimating construction costs based on design drawings.
- Assist in analyzing possible project alternatives that may result in savings to the project.
- Review progress drawings, as required by the Project Architect,
- Assist in zoning evaluation, required permits during the design phase and compliance with applicable building codes and regulations.
- Perform architectural assignments under the supervision of the Project Architect. Assist in creating and reviewing design drawings to ensure information is accurate, complete and conforms to applicable standards and regulations.
- Maintain design standards to achieve top-quality and comprehensive design documentation.
- Maintain good relations and communications with all parties involved in the project.
- Assist in supervising construction work related to architectural matter to assure compliance with design drawings and specifications.
- Assist in reviewing shop drawings and material submittals and keep their corresponding logs updated.
- Assist the Project Architect in the development of drawings, from conceptual design to final construction documents, of residential, commercial, and institutional projects, among others.
- Able to work on BIM models and presentations to be presented to Clients and/or government agencies for permit and endorsement approvals.
- Be able to make preliminary coordination redlines.
- Design and construction drawings and renderings.
- Create VDC presentations
- Technical Specifications
- Materials and installation methodologies reports.
- Design Architect - Primary
- Architect of Record - Secondary
- Drawing Log
- Submittal Log
- Document Control